My name is Vilma Lopez,
I am a Licensed Social Worker bound by the National Association of Social Workers Code of Ethics. I received my Master’s Degree in Social Work and Bachelor’s in Psychology at Millersville University. I am the current School Social Worker at La Academia Partnership Charter School. My role as the School Social Worker is to serve our scholars’ families and work hand in hand with our community.
WHO are School Social Workers?
School Social Workers are trained mental health professionals with a degree in social work who provide services related to a person’s social, emotional and life adjustment to school and/or society. School Social Workers are the link between the home, school, and community in providing direct as well as indirect services to scholars, families, and school personnel to promote and support scholars’ academic and social success.
Throughout my time here at LAPCS I have been able to build relationships with our scholars, parents, and community partners and have been able to provide a variety of services with some listed below.
- Short-term individual checks-in. Involves providing therapeutic strategies to scholars that focus on communication, problem-solving, coping skills, anger management, and overall emotional and academic support.
- Small therapeutic groups
- Help to access community resources; services that address basic necessities such as food, housing, clothing, and utility assistance.
- Support families in transition
- Crisis Intervention /classroom management
- Assist with attendance
- Conflict mediation/ restorative conversations
Who Receives Services?
As a School Social Worker, I work with all scholars in promoting social-emotional well-being. Some services require a consent form to be signed by parents or guardians, including small groups that are held during school and after school.
I am also available to meet and assist families in connecting to services in the community. If you are in need of help, please do not hesitate to give me a call to schedule a meeting. Below are a few quick links to organizations in the community that can offer a variety of assistance.
Monday 7:30 am – 3:30 pm
Tuesday 7:30 am – 3:30 pm
Wednesday 7:30 am – 3:30 pm
Thursday 7:30 am – 3:30 pm
Friday 7:30 am – 3:30 pm
Rental Assistance and Utility Services
- Covid – 19 Utility and Rental Assistance https://www.lchra.com/rent/
- LIHEAP – Low – Income Home Energy Assistance Program
- PPL on Track Payment Plan
Food and clothing Banks
- Lancaster County – Food Hub https://lancasterfoodhub.org/
- Crispus Attucks Community Center Food bank
- The food bank is open every second and fourth Wednesday from 2-4 p.m. for seniors and individuals with
disabilities, and from 4-6 p.m. for others who need support.
Vilma Lopez, LSW
School Social Worker
Office Number: 717-295-7763 ext: 438
Work Cell Phone: 717-682-6688