This post is also available in: Español
My name is Vilma Caraballo. I am the School Social Worker for La Academia Partnership Charter School. This is my first year at LAPCS and what an honor it has been to be part of the team. My role as the School Social Worker is to serve our scholars, families, and work hand in hand with our community.
School Social Workers are mental health professionals that help scholars do well in school by addressing their social and emotional needs. Throughout my time here at LAPCS I have been able to build relationships with our scholars, parents, and community partners and have been able to provide a variety of services with some listed below.
- Short- term individual checks in. Involves providing therapeutic strategies to scholars that focus on communication, problem- solving, coping skills, anger management, and overall emotional and academic support.
- Small therapeutic groups
- Help accessing community resources; services that address basic necessities such as food, housing, clothing, and utility assistance.
- Support families in transition
- Crisis Intervention /classroom management
- Assist with attendance
- Conflict mediation/ restorative conversations
Who Receives Services?
As a School Social Worker, I work with all scholars in promoting social -emotional well-being. Some services require a consent form to be signed by parents or guardians, including small groups that are held during school and after school.
I am also available to meet and assist families in connecting to services in the community. Beginning January 24th, I am available to meet after school until 6:00pm on Mondays and Thursdays. If you are in need of help, please do not hesitate to give me a call to schedule a meeting during my school day or after school hours.
School Day and After School hours
Vilma Caraballo, LSW
School Social Worker
Office Number: 717-295-7763 ext: 438