LAPCS Boy’s Basketball – Leones
Who we are…
In 2019 La Academia introduced an initiative to create High School Athletics for the first time in school history. Former Division 1 basketball standout, 13-year professional basketball player, and community pillar, Jerry Johnson, was hired as the Athletic Director to create a sports department from the ground up – including a full mascot rebranding.
Given his background, Coach Johnson quickly started a Junior Varsity boy’s basketball team that competed during the 2019-2020 school year stating: “The opportunity was something that felt right. This is where I grew up and I feel that I can relate to these young men based on the lessons I’ve learned as an adolescent in this area. We have had incredible backing and flexibility from our Board Members, Administration, and Teachers and I look forward to continuing to build La Academia Basketball and athletics as a whole into the future through new and existing relationships in the community.”
After a successful 2019-2020 season, La Academia and Coach Johnson made the necessary moves to make Boys Basketball a PIAA Varsity sport for the first time in school history and would compete in PIAA District 3 at the 1A level. Against all odds, La Academia burst onto the scene capturing the District 3 1A Championship in its inaugural season. Following the championship season, the 2021-2022 season brought another district playoff qualifier.
The end of the 2021-2022 season marked another year of firsts for the Leones: This would be the first time in school history that any scholar would be recruited after competing for our high school team. 2 Scholar-Athletes signed a National Letter of Intent to play collegiate basketball. Jamal Lebedev chose to continue his career at Camden County College, and Jaquis Heath chose to continue his career at Bucks County Community College.
- See this file for Eligibility Requirements.
- Physical (Needed each year at the start of the season.)
- Emergency Contact Form (Needs to be updated regularly by guardians.)
- All practices are mandatory, and players who do not attend practices are ineligible for games.
- If there are concerns or extenuating circumstances, players should contact their coaches immediately.
- Practices are regularly held on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, & Fridays from 4 pm – 6 pm
- Wednesday Practices are from 1:30 pm – 3:30 pm.
- Locations alternate between the following two locations depending on availability:
- Upcoming game schedules, team stats, and player stats can be found at MaxPreps.
These will be updated by Assistant Coach Jason Cavell.
- Game schedules are also updated on the school Calendar page and on our school’s social media.